Tuesday, October 28, 2014

November 2014 Election: US House TN-5

There are three candidates for US House this fall, and very little chance that the incumbent will lose. I already described two of them in my posts on the primary, but I'll repeat what I said before here.

Bob Ries (Republican)
I'm not analyzing Bob Ries's website this time. See, I met Bob Ries in 2010, when we were both running for US House TN-5. (He lost the primary to David Hall, so we weren't directly opposed.) We spoke for some time about one thing and another, and I came to the definite conclusion that he was not someone I would want in Congress. I won't go into more details; it was four years ago, and there's just no need to pick on the man. But I can't recommend voting for Bob Ries.

Jim Cooper (Democrat, incumbent)
He's got a good list of issue statements, including intellectual property, wonder of wonders. (I'm not 100% convinced he's got a good policy, but at least he's aware of the issue, and claims to strive for balance.) And I appreciate the fact that he has links scattered throughout his text; a familiar style! Cooper has a 65% match rating with me on POPVOX, which is twice what either of our Senators get. If Cooper wins, I won't be terribly disappointed.

Paul Deakin (Independent)
This candidate seems to be almost entirely concerned with animals. He has no policy statements at all besides that.

My recommendation: if you feel a need to cast a protest vote against both parties, vote Deakin. Otherwise, vote Cooper.

No comments:

Post a Comment