Wednesday, October 29, 2014

November 2014 Election: State Legislature

Again, I'm copying and pasting some information from my posts on the primary elections. Unfortunately, there's not much thinking to be done on most of these.

The following four elections are uncontested, and there is no reason to support any of these candidates based on their stands on issues that matter. I suggest writing in a name in protest of the very concept of uncontested elections. If you want a name to write, feel free to use mine.

52nd Representative District
Mike Stewart (D)

55th Representative District
John Ray Clemmons (D)

58th Representative District
Harold M. Love (D)

59th Representative District
Sherry Jones (D)

The following elections are only between the two major parties. I never heard anything on the big issues from most of the candidates, and only the usual partisan stuff is on their websites. Since the Republican party has gone so far off the rails lately, I suggest voting Democrat. If you can't do that, I suggest writing in a name for those elections, if only out of protest. Again, feel free to use mine, if you like.

21st Senate District
Diana Cuellar (R)
Jeff Yarbro (D) 

50th Representative District 
Troy Brewer (R)
Bo Mitchell (D, incumbent)

51st Representative District
Brian L. Mason (R)
Bill Beck (D)

56th Representative District
Beth Harwell (R , incumbent)
Chris Moth (D)
Unlike any of the others on this list, this candidate responded to me, and described himself as "deeply concerned about the influence of money in politics". It's not a commitment to the Wolf-PAC amendment or anything else, but it's something. On a personal level, I can strongly recommend him. He's a computer, science, technically-oritented kind of guy. I really enjoyed speaking with him, and I think he'd do very well in the House.

60th Representative District 
Jim Gotto (R)
Darren Jernigan (D)

The following three races have a third-party candidate, so I'll go slightly more in depth on them.

19th Senate District
Sterlina Inez Brady (R)
Still no information, at all. No webpage, no Facebook page, no Twitter feed, no contact information.

Thelma M. Harper (D)
The incumbent in this district. She did not respond to my requests for positions. She has no website or position statements that I could find. Regardless of what she actually wants to do or has done, a Senator who's not interested in participating in democracy leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

George Thomas (I)
He has position statements! And they're actually mostly sane! (Sadly, that's how low my standards have to be in this election.) From his statements he's closer to being a Democrat than anything else, but since we can't tell a darned thing about Harper, I'm going to say, vote for Thomas!

53rd Representative District
John Wang (R)
Generic Republican candidate, no position statements of interest.

Jason Powell (D)
Generic Democrat candidate, no position statements of interest.

Tonya Miller (L)
Generic Libertarian candidate, no position statements of interest.

Much like the two-candidate elections, there's not much to say here. Republicans are doing horrible things lately, so pick the Democrat if you see a difference between those two parties, or the Libertarian if you don't. 

54th Representative District
Brenda Gilmore (D
The incumbent in this district. She did not respond to my requests for positions. She has no website or position statements that I could find. Regardless of what she actually wants to do or has done, a representative who's not interested in participating in democracy leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 

Martin Holsinger (G)
Well-spoken, communicative with the voters, and doesn't seem to be particularly crazy. I'd vote for Holsinger in this election.

No comments:

Post a Comment