Thursday, October 10, 2013

League of Women Voters

Earlier this year, I joined the League of Women Voters. To answer your first two questions, yes, they allow men, and no, I'm not the only one.

If you're interested in why I did this, check out the history of the League. For some years they sponsored the Presidential debates. They stopped in 1988, with this epic statement:

The League of Women Voters is withdrawing sponsorship of the presidential debates...because the demands of the two campaign organizations would perpetrate a fraud on the American voter. It has become clear to us that the candidates' organizations aim to add debates to their list of campaign-trail charades devoid of substance, spontaneity and answers to tough questions. The League has no intention of becoming an accessory to the hoodwinking of the American public.
—League President Nancy M. Neuman, LWV October 03, 1988
If you've ever seen a Presidential "debate" you know exactly what they're talking about. That alone was enough to get my attention.

The League is all about fair elections, human rights, and government transparency. Those are my issues, and both major parties have long since left me out in the cold. I know I'm not the only one who feels that way. If you've been looking for a group that will act to support good government, regardless of political bent, this is it.

Find your local League, and sign up!

No comments:

Post a Comment