Thursday, August 18, 2011

Once more unto the blog

I find myself wanting to say random things with no particular direction. The things I want to say can't typically be compressed into 140 characters. Thus, blog.

I've done this a few times before, but not with any serious regularity. We'll see how I do now.

Work's been interesting of late. I've been working on what's basically a grid-tied inverter for regenerative braking. I wrote a Python script to autogenerate my sine wave lookup table. The output and switching frequencies can be controlled by two constants in the script, and you can immediately recompile. It's quite excellent. The unit seems to work under all tested circumstances. Next, abuse.

I've also been training a new engineer. He's learning well how we do things, having had to drop two projects already for higher-priority ones. And now he's trying to modify and update my code from three years ago. (Poor sod.) See, I built this tester unit. It met spec, but I was never happy with the overall architecture. Now, three years later, someone wants several of them, somewhat modified, and they want them now. Since I never went back and redid it in what I now (in my since-acquired infallible wisdom) know to be the One True Way, and since we're in a rush, we have to carry over the bad old architecture to Yet Another Product.

Be sure your sins will find you out.

No comments:

Post a Comment